Starting Over on The Artist’s Brush

By | August 15, 2010

If you’ve been watching my web site this last month, you noticed that I pushed back the target for releasing The Artist’s Brush a few times; and you probably wondered what’s going on.

Well, I screwed it up; and now I have to start over. When I recorded it last month, I knew it sounded wrong, but I couldn’t figure out what I had done wrong. As I cleaned up the recording, I marked a few words here and there that were mispronounced. Today, as I recorded the background music, I also rerecorded those words, and I noticed that the sound quality was significantly better than the rest of the recording.

It looks like when I recorded the principle session, I had the input gain down too low. This resulted in a noticeable hum that couldn’t be filtered without distorting my voice.

I’ve always been a bit particular about the quality of my recordings. I produce the best quality that I can with the equipment that I have. Sometimes you have to take what you’ve got, but when you know you can do better, you should. So I have decided to start over and record a new session. This will, of course, delay the release a bit longer, but I think quality is important enough to make it worth doing.

You know that old saying, any job worth doing is worth doing right.